Tuesday 9 September 2008

Tour, tour and tour

To keep myself busy, not to think of Adrian, I went on three tours in three days in Salta. For each one I had to get up at 6.30am and was getting back in the evening between 7 and 9pm. Each one was beautiful, I highly recommend visiting Salta. The canyons, mountains of many colours and huge cactuses are all a treat. Then there was the salt flats, which were very interesting. The wind was so strong that it blew my camera case in to the white plains and in a blink I couldn´t see it any more. Most of the time was spent travelling in buses for hours at a time. Everyone in the middle aisle clambered over the person in the window seat to take photos. I was sat next to Jay, who I met in Cordoba, he told me about the Salta hostel where we were staying. Slowly, he was revealing his miserable, insecure and arrogant attitude towards people and life. Groups of us went out for dinner and had many discussions, one guy and me were talking about religion and he was describing his views on spiritualism rather than being religious. Jay said he has very strong views on religion because he knows alot about it, and he is open minded so can accept anyone´s view. Yet he ignored everyone´s comments and continued to say his view over and over again using different words. Yes, ofcourse you are open minded Jay. He decided that he absolutely hated two girls because just from looking at them he thought they were stupid and had no points of view, also one of them had looked at him in a funny way. I chatted to them, they were far from stupid and lovely people who couldn´t understand why this person was cutting them off at any opportunity. At this point I was still willing to keep giving him a chance, assuming he was tired from the previous early morning and late night.

On another day, without Jay, a small tour group of five, two people being German, the other Spanish and our hilarious tour guide went on another trip through the mountains. Our guide was trying to teach me spanish, he wrote down some words, asked me to read them out and then tolds me what they meant. Everything he got me to say was rude and everyone else, who could speak spanish was in hysterics! Even though it was rude it was still helpful because it was showing me how to construct a sentence. I showed a few people my peice of paper after this and they all cracked up. Here is an example - esta noche necesitamos muchas condones porque tengo huevos grandes. Sorry mum and dad, it means - tonight we need many condoms because I have big balls.

We were given the only icecream in the world which is made of wine and actually gets you drunk if you lick it. Delicious. We met a Madridian on a motorbike who was traveling South America on it. He was going to Uyuni and it was likely I would see him so we exchanged numbers. Unfortunately I left my phone on the next overnight bus. Another whoops.

No comments: