Tuesday 23 September 2008

Tupiza horses then get a tour

That day the four of us, Eddie, Jay and thingy-me-bob (temporarily forgotten his name) had time to do a horse riding tour for three hours. I´m the only person who knows how to jump on a horse and go. I wanted to stay out riding next to the devil´s doorway and the red rock formations that looked like daggers poking in to the floor but the boys all had sore parts that females avoid. Our guide looks like Forturo from Never Ending Story. His horse kept bouncing and kicking, playing up so much that we lost him a few times when he galloped off uncontrollably. Once the horse ran off without him so he needed to get on thingys horse with him. Our horses just kept on going as they knew the way. I tried to catch up with the escapey horse but my horse knows what it wants, and that´s not what I want. Another tour group passed us on their way back. The tour guide caught the horse and gave the lead to me. Great. For once, my horse decided to do as I say and go back the way we came - because it thought we were going home. Tour guide with his horse and ready for action, we go. Keen to speed up, me and our guide stayed behind so the other horses wouldn´t get excited and gallop with us. When their horses were a safe distance ahead.... Woo yeah! That was exciting, give me a taste and I want more, on our return walk I didn´t hestitate when my horse wanted to go faster, I just let it pick up pace. Unfortunately it meant the other boys horses felt like going too. The horror on their faces was a picture to remember, especially on Jay´s, he is so sure of himself but he can´t deal with a bit fear. It was Eddie´s first time on a horse but he went for it and turned out to be a natural.

Later on, while Jay blew out smoke from his cigarette and drank a beer, he told me a message from our guide. He liked me and wanted me to know. That was it. End of message. Interesting. Yeah, I think that could work... a young fifteen year old and me, a Bolivian in Bolivia, me in England, no ofcourse! We simply need to marry. I´ll suggest that next time we meet... if we see eachother again. Where does he live? Mustn´t be hard to find him in this small town.

Forgetting about the young Bolivian, I focus on where to go from here. At the tour company Jay argued with the sales person about saving a few pounds for a four day salt flat tour. What a waste of half an hour, and what a headache. The tour was such a great idea that I couldn´t refuse to go on it. A 4x4 would take us passed many lagoons, hot springs, volcanic waters, flamingoes and the salt flats, ending in Uyuni, my next destination. I knew I would have to put up with Jay but figured it was worth it because the other two guys were nice and occassionally funny. Outside the hotel tour shop we met five lovely people, all about to do the same tour. As Jay had argued so much the english tour guide had opted to being their guide, not ours. So we were going to have a spanish guide instead. The five lovely people were going to be at every destination that we stopped which was quite a relief to me. Also, the guide agreed to chat to me about the land when we see eachother on the tour. How nice is he!? How could Jay be so mean and rude to him?

No comments: