Friday 20 June 2008

A butterfly , supermarket and a musician - Tuesday 17 June

I went for a walk down on Copacobana beach and found a butterfly just alive, with it´s wings stuck together by sea water. I carried it most of the way to the hostel and decided to leave it under a tree, wings separated, as the monkeys at our hostel might eat it. I hope it´s ok.

At the supermarket a guy smiled largely at me while pretending to hit me with his shopping trolley. He did this several times and found it funny. It was, a little bit. He had a small gold cross dangling from his earring. I kept imagining that he was a drug dealer out doing his weekly shopping.

A walk around the hill of a mountainous forest I ended up facing a massive lake and took a slow walk around it. Being slightly paranoid I slowed down several times to let people pass me or sitting down for two minutes before moving on. Turns out no one robbed me at knife point like I was expecting. However, a tree had a big dangling branch which, if I sat on it, looked like it would either split in two or just about hold my weight. i thought I´d give it a go. It didn´t snap but my distraction from avoiding people gave a Brazilian the chance to come over to talk to me. Bugger. He had a guitar on his back and was on his way to show a singer his work. This was the perfect opportunity for him to sing and play a couple of songs for me. Next thing I know it is an hour later and we are still chatting. It has turned from day to night and say I want to leave. He gave me his phone number, email address and a very encouraging offer to come and visit him at his university. He lives in the jungle next to the uni and looks after the ground and it´s many animals. He ensures me that I am allowed to bring a friend and says I must bring a camera because it is sooo beautiful. He seemed sincere - he was just walking along the lake to decide what to do about his music and really did want directions from me (even though I am obviously a tourist). I still went for the ´there is no way I am going on two buses and a boat to visit you in a lodge in the jungle´option. Although, it could have been a good extra for my dream.

No comments: