Monday 23 June 2008

what´s that smell? - Monday 23 June

We walked a short trail because it rained last night. You can´t walk the big trail for the danger of slipping is just too much! We went for dinner quite early after our relaxing stroll and there was a really bad smell at the table. Everyone was commenting on how the dog must be near by but she wasn´t in the eye view. Lexi, bless her, had found her spot under the table before we had arrived. She really does stink so we moved to a table far away from her. She stayed put. Dogs are open to wander around freely here and lots of them are stray. The others try their best not to touch them, I stroke them all, they really are sweet lonely little things. The girls think it´s gross that I touch them and unhigienic, little do they know that after I stroke them I clean my hands with sanitizer that I keep in my pocket. I´m enjoying their disgust too much to tell them that I´m eating my food with clean hands.

Three boys walked cautiously over to our table and tried to talk to us. All of the girls I am with are gorgeous so I was only a tad surprised when they asked to take a photograph of them smiling next to us but was completely surprised when they introduced us to another twelve year old and asked ¨would we like to kiss a brasilian boy?¨. Ofcourse our answer was going to be yes from a bunch of twenty somethings....? They weren´t even bothered which girl it was! I wish I had taken a photo of them.

Some restaurants here have an interesting idea that works for us. We weigh the food that we have chosen from a cart and that is all you are charged for. Being vegetarian, this helps a lot. Only once have I found meat in a dish that was supposed to be meat free. In england, to say it is meat free normally includes chicken but over here chicken doesn´t count, you have to say sin everything to be understood. The food is pretty tasty here, we can eat salad and be safe as the water isn´t clean enough for the locals either so you know you wont be ill. One girl Leah, has been drinking water from the tap, she says she has been fine. Later on in the day we discovered that she is becoming ill... she has been drinking water from the tap all over the country...

No comments: