Monday 23 June 2008

laura, sugar loaf & girls - Saturday 20 June

Laura, a funny entrepenurial northern girl staying at our hostel, recently split up with her boyfriend while traveling. Unexpectedly she needed to make the choice of whether to carry on or go home. She chose to carry on with a heavy heart. Quite a few people in the hostel had discovered that there was another girl staying there who was also traveling on my 17 day tour with Intrepid. After a few days of knowing this, we finally came into contact via Laura and the three of us had a few drinks. I´m not going to tell you the ideas that Laura was coming out with to make money to keep traveling but she is one funny girl. We had such a laugh together that Laura came to our meeting point hotel to try and get on our tour. After some thought it was too much of a bit of an expense so sadly we had to leave her behind. This late interaction with Clare led to us to being room mates for the entire trip. This is lucky for me, I almost had to share my room with a loopy girl who really isn´t on this planet. Not that anyone could know she is loopy for a few days but looking back, I feel lucky. Clare has a couple of her own little quirks too, she is a reporter in Ireland for RTN news so has a lot of conversation in her, and she is VERY scared of moscuitos. I have never seen anyone with such an obsession to protect herself from being bitten. I can see why, she is bitten when I am not, even if she uses a moscuito net and I don´t. Poor girl.

Before our tour group meeting to introduce ourselves to everyone, I took a brash decision to run to Sugar Loaf mountain, knowing that I would be late for the meeting. I was the luckiest person on earth to go up the hill just as the sun set. If I am ever able to find an internet cafe that is quicker than a snail, I´ll upload the photos. They are beautiful, I happened to catch a couple completely embraced in the corner of one romantic night shot. And I was late. That´ll teach me for exploring the neighbourhood and not seeing the key sights first. I still haven´t seen Christ and we leave in the morning.

We went for a meal with our group. We were all surprised to find only girls. Eight of us plus our female tour leader. This will be interesting.

2 comments:

Ellie said...

was she loopier than you?

Lisa in a dream said...

Yes! Believe it or not! She is a genius as well.