Monday 23 June 2008

taxi, alcohol & a motorbike - Thursday 19 June

Our hostel receptionist Phillipe was worried that I´d be in danger on my own in Santa Theresa. Ofcourse, I went alone and took a tram from Centro (the most mugged area) with my eyes peeled at all times. Male locals stare, however women are quite friendly. They talk to me in Portugese and I nod with a response of ´si, si`. With a feeling that I´m not really blending in I catch the next taxi that comes my way. I pay him to show me the area. He pretendsto understand my broken spanish. Then takes me to a corner shop while he asks someone to translate for him. We had already agreed the price! He took me everywhere up a hill to a helicopter spot. Such a great view.

At night, I went out for Thai food with Dom and Amy, we met their friends who were celebrating a birthday. You have to do something pretty terrible not to be welcome somewhere with travelers. Luckily I wasn´t intruding. Hostels are such friendly places.

I went back to the hostel and left them out samba-ing. My plan for a quiet night ended up drinking, and singing to Rafael while he played the guitar, and riding on the back of the security guards motorbike. There was a communication breakdown somewhere - I thought we were going around the block but he took me a few blocks down through tunnels and pedestrian walkways past people sleeping on the streets, and to a bar. He bought us a capiriniah and I suggested that we leave in cinco minutos. Another miscommunication, he wanted to go to the club next door and thought I was going to gather everyone in the hostel up to come clubbing - in the favellas! We got back and Rafael translated for me. All understood, he left for the club alone, upset.

3 comments:

Oliver said...

How long will you be in Brasil for?

xo Ollie

Lisa in a dream said...

I cross to Argentina in three days
x

Patricia said...

Hi Lisa,
Alica Massaey told me about your trip, and I've lived in some of the places you're visiting, I may have interesting contacts for you. I read your blog about Rio, Ilha Grande, etc, if she'd gooten to me earlier, would have put you in touch with some more people. I'm on her FB list, and will look you up on hers, maybe send you some numbers or e-mails through there.