Monday 18 August 2008

Santiago or Pantiago?

Get your thermal pants on, it´s snowing.

Other than one extra day in Bariloche, working my way up through Chile to Mendoza was easy, until I got to Santiago. Everything I wanted to see happened in one day. It´s a city with city workers, another fantastic Bella de Artes gallery, a great columbian museum, a few pestering beggers and nice views. I wouldn´t live here but it was worth visiting for a day or two.

A plan and ticket in hand to catch the bus back to Mendoza the next day fell in the face of weather. It´s common for the roads to close in the mountains for two or three days. Santiago has become my home since wednesday night, it´s now monday night, hopefully the last night. There are four of us at our hostel waiting for the roads to open. Each day the bus companies tell us to come back in the morning as the bus might leave. Each day we have turned up and gone back to the hostel for an extra night. This is why I have had time to write my blog! Hurrah! We´re lucky we´re staying in a top hostel that has a fantastic breakfast (pitiful in some hostels), a luxious lounge and pool room - makes a big difference when you have a problem like ours. I´ve ended up chilling with a sick girl from Switzerland a lot. Now, I´m off now to find some people to go for dinner with. Catch you later! This is as up to date as we´re going to get... yay, I finally made it to today! Now it´s you´re turn to read it all... hehehe.

Wish me luck for tomorrow! I need it.....

3 comments:

Oli said...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the motherland. Everyone hates Santiago, you're not alone there. I can't believe you've got time and I wouldn't recommend it, but Dad's from Chuquicamata (Antofagasta). Look it up on a map if you're bored. It's just a big open cast copper mine. If you happen to travel on the Andean railways out in the Decima Quinta or Primera regions then that's my grandad's old work.

Anyway, it's been really nice to keep reading your accounts of life in South America. Keep heading north and stick to the coast and your skin will be as warm as your heart. It's been lovely reading about Adrian...

Oli

Oli said...

By the way - if you've tried Mate and not liked it have a go at Pisco! It's evil and bitter and curiously likable after a while. I'll be amazed if you've not seen Pisco Sour around the place. My gran's rather fond of it, though it's better in Peru than Chile, I'm sad to say.

Lisa in a dream said...

I made it to Argentina and tomorrow I go to Bolivia! Yay! You´re grandad´s old work sounds interesting, I´m not sure if I´ll make it there now but thanks for the tip that would´ve been ace!

Mate has grown on me but my bowels always move faster than I want them to afterwards! Your gran is cool! A few Pisco sour´s hit the back of my throat one night - they are my new Mohito! Now you say that I´m looking forward to Pisco´s almost as much as Peru itself! Well, in a different way.

Thanks for the encouragement! It was tough leaving Adrian behind. I am finally used to the idea of not seeing him, possibly forever ...but maybe one day - who knows, one can only hope! :)