Saturday 30 August 2008

Tear away

Adrian walked out to me wearing some big dog slippers, which made me smile, we kissed for a long time. Finally we were together again. For the five days we spent every moment together and had a lovely fun time doing regular non-travel things again. We tried to introduce Anelka to the outdoors, she sat wherever she was put and cowered into corners as the frightened puppy that she is. With a bit of patience she began walking around the carpark under Adrian´s flat with caution. Nothing seemed to sway her from being afraid but we played hide and seek with her and it made a slight difference to her confidence. A bit more work and soon she will walk around the car park with ease. Adrian missed a few uni classes to be with me and as usual I went to his work so we could spend every moment together. During our last few hours we watched Jurassic Park at the hostel, we all know it´s not a sad film but I cried for the last hour on and off. Adrian told me I didn´t have to get the bus, I could stay. Imagine how I would be after another few days! He said, no, stay for a month. There was no way of sticking around longer. I´d need a bucket for tears. The taxi arrived and this time we knew it may be the last time we would see eachother. After a long hug and more silent tears later, the taxi man patiently waited for me to get in the car. Looking out of the dirty back window, Adrian held both arms in the air in a slow wave. I wave back at him and as the car turned around the corner his fists clenched together and his head swung down and his chin hit his chest. I had never seen him look so sad. With uncontrollable silent tears rolling down my cheeks I stared blankly out at the road side trying to ignore my compulsion to turn the taxi around. Reminding myself that I still had to continue my dream I sat on the overnight bus to Cordoba. And was woken up at 5am by a girl who wanted to sit in my window seat, there were plenty of available seats but mine was on her ticket. Whoops.

No comments: