Saturday 16 August 2008

sueño

Waking up sat next to a police officer in full uniform with the gun on her hip leant on me made me jump. Woa! Is this another dream? She finished her shift and jumped on the bus for a 10 hour bus ride to Bariloche to pick up her two children. That night they were doing the same journey back up north to meet her husband, who she also only sees once a month because he`s a cop with awkward hours too. After our broken spanish chat a young Dick and Dom wannabe held a Bingo game. I fully expected to win because the numbers were called out in Spanish and being the only English speaking person it was highly likely, no? I won a bottle of wine (from Mendoza). Talk about ridiculous luck. Other Spanish boys tried to cheat, which made everyone laugh even more when I won. People have a good social sense of humour in Argentina.


Panaramic views of snow covered mountains and large lakes filled the scenery. Beautiful! I chose to stay at El Gaucho hostel in memory of the Ranch. Within minutes of walking in an Argentinian spoke to me, thinking he was saying something about going for a walk around a lake. Another Argentinian poked his head around the door and said we´re going, you too? I said yes assuming it was the lake we could see from the hostel. We went outside and I got in a 4x4 with them, finding two other guys wearing puffa jackets waiting for us. We drove for 30 minutes, me with four spanish speakers. Ok then.

No comments: