Monday 18 August 2008

Valdivar & the Schizer climate

Valdivar became my option because transport to Urshauia at the end of civilisation would take days and political problems closed the pretty route through lakes and mountains to Puerto Montt. Hopping off the bus into the cold air, a woman accosts me blabbering on in speedy spanish. Slowly, tired after the three bus rides, I look at this well presented woman and say no entiendo (I dont understand). She hands me a slip of paper and suggests staying at her house for the night. Her appearance told me that her house must be tidy - not be so bad. Telling her I am busy tonight but may stay at hers tomorrow, she was happy.

Its raining, its pouring and the whole house is snoring. My hostel was made of tin FRREEEEEZING! but so are most houses in Valdivar. Lots of Nazi runaways from Germany moved to South Chile and South Argentina after the war to escape the rap. In Bariloche the hostel owner said there are still Nazi gatherings here. That made me angry. Grr. Anyway, there is a lot of German influence in the buildings. It is colourful, full of students and way more expensive than Argentina, yet it looks poor. A recommended cafe on a big square, there are lots of squares in south america, was run by German descendants who make amazing hot dogs and huge cakes. Yes, by now I am using my breakdown from being a vegie to try everything before I stop being a carnivore again.

Seals ate fish given to them by the market fishermen and many birds swooned above the fish market. When buying some non-holey trainers from a sweet gentleman, I paid and handed him my holey ones, trying to explain my thinking; that he would sew them back up and sell them. They were good trainers initially. Appearing as though he understood, in a dazzled way, he took them and wished me a good stay in Chile with a smile. Most Chileans wish you a good stay in Chile and are eager to know where you are from.

Not able to visit parks and beaches or go for walks in the rain, I stopped for lunch. Filled-up, now a new jacket was needed, the one from Uruguay had a rip under the arm. I paid 20,000 pesos for the chosen one and gave my old one to the girl that works in the hostel. She looked overwhelmingly (alarmingly) happy even though there was handy work involved.

Staying another night was a possiblity for the weather might improve. Seriously considering staying at the Chilian ladies house and half-believing that she may be a con woman, I wanted to know the truth. Venturing to the other side of the town I found it within half an hour (small town) and took a picture. The windows were open to air the house, it looked too cold so I jumped on the next bus north to Valparaiso instead.

No comments: