Friday 15 August 2008

Treading the gaucho ground

Juan didn´t like me because I was too tired to get his carrot joke. He gave me his most jumpy horse. I found out later that he does this to people that he wants to fall off. I´ve been horse riding 7 times - that includes being led on a donkey at the age of eight. You could say Im inexperienced but my experiences on horses have mostly been slightly dangerous ie riding without saddles or reigns or helmets - sorry dad.

Over the days I had three horses, they each showed the level of how much Juan liked me. The first generally got over excited and did what it liked, kicking and screaming. My second horse was known for laying down for a nap while the rider is sat on it. She spiced up as we cantered on the way home. In the evening, most of the girls watched a film for the scarce hours of electricity. In the kitchen four of us sat in candle light, Juan and me shared wine and blunt questions, ending up with an interesting evening. Occassionally quiet travellers stay at his ranch. To make them speak he asks questions about a subject that will make a person angry enough to disagree and put a point across. He does this by pretending he has a small mind, but he doesnt. I like this about him. The next day I had the most attentive and beautiful horse called Thunder.

No comments: